19/05/2015

The Walled Garden: My best in show



The sun may not have got the brief, but in true British style The Chelsea Flower Show will carry on regardless.

Rain or shine, this is the show that brings crowds flocking to see the best in outdoor living - where the horticultural heavies flex their muscles and green fingered goddesses show us how to Give Good Garden.

I like a nice plot. I mean, given the time, I’d like to think I’d have a thriving veg patch and a perfectly manicured herbaceous border. There’d be rampant roses framing my door and a picket fence heaving under the strain of pretty white wisteria. 

Sadly, this scene will have to be resigned to an Alan Titchmarsh novel until such a time as a) I have retired and b) quit obsessing about the inside of my home and started obsessing about the outside.

But that seems like a long time to wait to join in the garden party, so allow me if you will to indulge in my own personal flower show… INSIDE the house. Here's VIP access to The Walled Garden, where go-to wallpaper brands are showing off some stunning displays and stylishly bringing the outside, in.

 Newsflash! Interior florals needn’t be girly or granny-ish. Instead they can be mean, moody and seriously sexy if you know how to work them. As the garden designers will tell you, it’s all about choosing the right colours, the best blooms and the right accessories. 

Designer’s Guild is my first stop when it comes to florals. This brand knows how to mix and match to perfection - avoiding chinz and layering on the chic. Colourwise, anything goes; no rules, no restraints and a whole heap of WOW factor. It’s great for mixing up wall coverings and upholstery for a coherent yet never overly matchy-matchy scheme, which in my book equals maximum edge.

There’s something for everyone in this brand’s massive range of floral wallpapers, including these two show stoppers; choices inspired by the Gold and Silver medal winners at this year’s Chelsea Flower Show.

GOLD

This year’s Best Show Garden went to The Chatsworth Garden, inspired by the wilder side of gardening and mimicking the architectural delicacy of the 200 year old Champagne House on the stunning Derbyshire Estate. Now I don’t know about you, but I could happily sip champagne here, enjoying the sensuousness of this Darley Noir paper from www.designersguild.com



SILVER


The Far East was a major theme in this year’s Silver Gilt medal winner at Chelsea, The Hidden Beauty of Kranji, using flora and fauna native to Singapore. Add to that the Chinese theme at this year’s Met Ball and it seems that The Orient is quite a thing. Give it a fashionable nod at home with this new bamboo lemongrass wallpaper by Designers Guild. Available in 8 chic colourways, but this striking lime version is my favourite.




Bamboo lemongrass wallpaper by Designers Guild

In my own garden, the flowers of choice are oversized, blowzy blooms such as old school Chrysanthemums, English Roses and Peonies. In fact, I may be ready for my blue rinse after all, because I like nothing more than a glass of wine in the evening sunshine when these lovely flowers are out in force. Petal power punctuates an outdoor space with brightness and beauty and I wouldn’t mind a bit of that indoors too. Here’s my pick of blooming lovely wallpaper prints:

Meriedal Cobalt www.designersguild.com


Amrapali Peony www.designersguild.com


Ornamental Garden panel Print www.designersguild.com


Another brand that is nailing fashionable florals is House of Hackney. Picking from the decadent era of 1930s Palm Springs, this Palmeral wallpaper looks insanely cool paired with an eclectic mix of vintage furniture and homewares. 


The brand is brilliant at throwing up unusual colour choices that demand guts but boast unbeatable fashion credentials. This is what you call a garden party.





Pampas wallpaper in nectarine www.houseofhackney.com


So there you have it. All you need to create your own medal winning floral display is a barrow full of 
gorgeous paper from either of these two botanical experts and a bucket full of bravery. 

Can you handle florals? 

Drop me a line and let me know what you think about flowery interiors in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you.





No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY ALEELILY DESIGNS | POWERED BY BLOGGER.